Publisher: Wiley - 2004-08-25
Hardcover | 2nd Edition | 328 Pages
An updated classic on designing both functional and visually stunning bridges.
This highly visual guide to understanding and using aesthetics in the design of bridges is now available in a second edition. You'll find updated bridge examples, improved photographs, and more technical depth for serious engineering study. New case studies of bridges currently underway provide real-world coverage, with an emphasis on the relationship between design problems, planning, and solutions, along with structural and cost challenges. Featuring a larger page size to better highlight the detailed illustrations and photos, this edition's entirely new coverage includes:
- Discussion on the "whys" behind various recommendations.
- New material on moveable bridges.
- Ways to respond to the structural and cost challenges involved in construction.
- Integration of Context-Sensitive Design/Context-Sensitive Solutions (CSD/CSS) into the design process.
- Twelve new case studies of bridges, with an emphasis on the relationship between design problems and planning their solutions.
- Information on the contribution of bridge aesthetics to environmental impact studies.